Tuesday, May 28, 2013

In Memorium

(written) May 27, 2013
Each year at this time I go back in my memory to visit a friend and mentor. I joined the Cub Scouts at age 8. The Pack had 160 boys, met on Wednesday and had one adult leader (that is another story). The assistant Den leader was Michael Thomas Glynn. He took me under his wing and became the big brother I never had. He helped me become a Wolf. Then he was promoted to Den Leader and I was chosen to be the assistant. Mike moved up again and I became Den Leader. When I joined the Boy Scouts, Mike was my Patrol leader. I just kept following in Mike's footsteps. Mike had all the merit badges to become an Eagle Scout, but hard as he tried, he couldn't earn the last two required badges, swimming and life saving. He was proud of me when, with his encouragement, I became the first Eagle in Troop 416. Mike went on to graduate 66th in a class of 596 from West Point in 1965. To this day, I remember Mike's enthusiasm on Christmas Eve 1965 when he met my fiancé, Fran. He spoke about the career he hoped to have in the State Department when he completed his military service. Mike went to Vietnam on January 3, 1966. He was a Platoon Leader in Pleiku Province, Vietnam, when he was killed on May 28, 1966. He was the second member of the West Point Class of '65 to die in Vietnam. What might have been? At this time of year, we should look with appreciation and gratitude to the men and woman who serve in our military, and especially to those who have given their lives.
Ed Mallon